Thursday 27 September 2012

Tomatillo Calzones

These are good. Now, in the spirit of "full transparency", I'm wearing cling wrap as I write this.
Also, this recipe was inspired by Meg over at Spark People. Now the problem I faced was 1) The recipe THEY had wasn't vegan, and 2) my kids won't try this. They would probably love it if they did, but sometimes you need to make two meals to make people happy.

Below is the Vegan Calzone recipe, for the kids, I just put in pizza sauce, cheese, and a deli meat of their choice. Boom, they are happy.

Calzone's and Empanada's are very similar, in fact, I'm a little unsure of where this one really should be categorized. So I'm calling it a calzone, because it's less "weird" sounding to those who are a little afraid to try something different.

For cooking music, I dunno about you, but it's time to turn up your speakers. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVFOAKREWAA

 As much as I like cooking things from scratch, I had to make this dish in under 30 minutes...so I bought a lot of this pre-made. Also, I'm trying to be at least a little bit healthy here, so you'll notice..no oil.

Ingredients:
1 bag of pizza dough: you can usually buy pre-made pizza dough in the bakery section of your local grocery store, or you can make your own. I bought the pre-made. It was vegan, it was cheap, and it was already done.
Equivelent of 1 lbs veggie crumbles or "yves" veggie ground round
3/4 cup Salsa Verde : super important, this is made from tomatillos. (which are not green tomatoes)
1 tsp cumin
1.5 tsp chili powder
one small or half a large onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
half red bell pepper, diced
salt n pepper are here, and they are in effect
1 tomato diced (optional, I opted out...I should have opted in you win some, you lose some)
Daiya Vegan Cheese
Corn flour
1/4 of water

Method:
1. Turn up speakers
1. B. Now my bag of dough said preheat the oven to 425º... so I did what I was told!
2. Open your pizza dough and let it "breathe" for 20 - 30 minutes at room temperature
3. In your non-stick pan (essential) toss in your onions and garlic, cook till onions soften
4. Add in your veggie crumbles (hydrated of course) tomatoes water cumin and chili powder cook over pretty high heat, you want the water to make a bit of a gravy with the spices, and evaporate off
5. Reduce heat to medium, and add in your salsa verde, stir and simmer for a few minutes
6. Turn off the heat and toss your peppers in, stir. Let the residual heat cook the peppers.

Move over to your pizza dough, my bag of dough had enough to make 6 calzones! Awesome. Cut your dough into 6 as best you can. Now this was the extremely clumsy part for me. Pizza dough and I don't get along. Dust your 1/6th dough in corn flour and stretch into a circle of sorts, clickity click barba split. To make a 10" circle(ish) I grabbed a dinner plate and turned it upside down. I then stretched the dough across the flour dusted plate in a "tuning a drum" fashion, by stretching to opposing sides of the plate.

Spoon your filling onto the stretched dough and toss on some cheese. NOT A LOT OF CHEESE. This isn't pizza folks, you don't want to dominate the flavour with cheese.

It will look a little bit like this!
Now fold over the dough and pinch along the edges. If you went a little crazy with the corn flour, it might be hard to seal it, use a little water if necessary.

The "v" means "vegan", the piece of fake ham means "fake ham"


Place on a baking sheet dusted with corn flour, and cook until golden brown. This doesn't take long, around 10-15 minutes tops, so keep an eye on things!

Once cooked, remove from oven, serve with some extra salsa verde on the side and enjoy!!




1 comment:

  1. Nice!

    Glad that you signed up for the Virtual Vegan Potluck - you know, we planned it for a Thursday just so you could join in ;-).

    ReplyDelete